Furniture Design Competition - Call for Entries
The aim of the competition is to raise and nurture design capabilities in the country; raise the image of the South African Furniture Manufacturing Industry, and to advance local
industry through the introduction of new products industry.
| || ||
The Department of Trade and Industry (the dti), South African Furniture Initiative (SAFI) and their partners, invites South African Designers to participate in the Furniture Design Competition. Entries are opened in the following categories:
- Student categories - Designed Students registered in South African Educational Institutes
- Development categories for Technical Colleges and Qualified Designers who are neither enrolled in the school system nor established yet.
- Established Furniture designers/ Manufacturers - for manufacturing companies/designers.
the dti and its partners, is calling on South African designers - design students and professionals furniture designers and/or manufacturers - to submit design entries for household furniture
under the theme "Storage".
Furniture must respond to peoples changing space needs and the way people live and use their space. This makes furniture pieces important, and their need to reflect individual lifestyles should
be captured in design. The submitted pieces submitted must also reflect the furniture trends, using different textures, colours and shapes. Your furniture piece must provide solutions to these
constantly changing needs and provides storage for the household.
Your design should:
Compulsory Information to submit:
- Promoting innovation
- Significant component of the furniture piece should be wood;
- Should be a movable piece (not attached to the wall);
- Appeal to the export market;
- Promote the use of local inputs e.g, wood, textiles, prints etc
- The design must have a target market in mind, which will be highlighted in your attached concept document.
The entrants will be expected to submit the following to be considered:
Guidelines to entry
- A technical drawing of the product (design). This should including the final product dimensions and 3D drawings). Your design must be 3D printable.
- Description of materials and inputs to be used in production. The use of local inputs is encouraged.
- The design must be accompanied by a description of the design, also explaining the concept and motivation behind the design.
- Brief copy of your CV
For entry form, entry details, terms and conditions of the competition, Contact the dti on 012 394 1260/1128, or
Terms and conditions
- Competition can be entered in one of the following categories:
- Student Category - students registered in South African Academic Institutions;
- Established Manufacturers - companies registered and operating in the country
- Development Category - designers who are not in the schooling system or not in their own established companies
the dti and its partners, reserves the right to refuse entry of products that are not eligible or do not comply with applicable entry criteria, or that might put in question the
reputation of the competition.
Guidelines to Entry
- Only new concepts (designs) are eligible to enter the competition.
- The competition is ONLY open to students registered with South African Academic Institution and locally based manufacturers.
- Designers or design teams may enter products.
- The names of all individuals involved in the design must be disclosed.
- If the design has been patented or registered as a design, a copy of the first page of all registration certificates must be submitted with the entry.
- The entry form must be completed in full and all the compulsory documents must be submitted before the closing date.
- Entries that do not comply with these requirements will be disqualified.
- the dti and its partners will not be held accountable for product performance or design originality.
- The panel of adjudicators and the administrators of the competition undertake to handle all entries in the strictest confidence and not to disclose any information on entries to any
other party. However, in the event of a product winning the design may be made public to the media.
- Although every reasonable precaution will be taken to ensure the safekeeping of products submitted, the dti and its partners cannot be liable for loss of or damage to any
- The decision of the adjudicators is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- By entering this competition and signing the disclaimer the entrant is agreeing to all above-mentioned conditions of entry
- No registration fees is required
- Products design must be new, original and ready for production.
- The theme of the competition, "Storage", seeks to provide storage solution solutions. Furniture must respond to peoples changing space needs and respond to the way people live and
use their space. The designs must promote the use of local inputs.
- The entrants must submit technical drawing of the product (the design must be 3D printable), description of materials and inputs to be used in production, and description of the design
and the concept behind the design.
- Entrants may download an entry form online or request a copy on FurnitureDesign@thedti.gov.za. Completed entry form and all the compulsory information requested to address provided.
- Multiple entries are possible as long as entry form for each is done separately.
- Entry forms must be signed and mailed to the dti.
- Compulsory information to submit
- Technical drawing of the product (technical drawings must include the final product dimensions and 3D drawings)
- Description of materials to be used in production
- Motivation and concept describing the design
- Brief CV of the entrant.
- Completed forms and compulsory information can also be emailed to FurnitureDesign@thedti.gov.za; or hand-delivered to:
|Industrial Development Division
Furniture Sector Desk
Department of Trade and Industry
1st Floor, Building A
77 Meintjies Street
|| Industrial Development Division
Furniture Sector Desk
Department of Trade and Industry
Private Bag X84
Winners will be announced at the exhibition.
Judges decision is final
- The adjudication criteria and weighting thereof is decided by the judges in line with the annual theme and a scorecard will be used. The criteria focus on the following areas:
- Concept behind the product
- Functionality/usability of the product
- Degree of innovation
- Ease of manufacturing
- Commercial viability
- Judges will comprise of industry experts and designers from other related fields.
- Judging will be done in two stages:
- The finalists will then be announced on/or before 16 October 2017, and invited to exhibit their pieces the chosen exhibition.
- Final Judging will take place at the exhibition in February/March 2018.
- Entries will open on 20 March 2017
- Entries close on 4 September 2017
- Finalists will be contacted telephonically and electronically.
- Finalists' products will be exhibited at the chosen exhibition in February/ March 2018
- Winners will be announced at the exhibition.
Furniture Design workshops will be held in June/July 2017for industry players, to complement the initiative
Gallery and News
- " One year internship for the winning student
- " An opportunity to participate and exhibit at the Inspire Expo for the winning manufacturer
- " Software prizes
- " Profiling of winners in relevant publications & Media exposure
- " Design tools